Free the Slaves
About Free the Slaves
Founded in 2000, Free the Slaves (FTS) is a pioneer and leader in the global effort to eradicate slavery. Our mission is to liberate those in slavery and to change the conditions that allow slavery to persist.
Free the Slaves works at the grassroots to empower vulnerable individuals and communities to achieve freedom from slavery and develop resistance to slavery.
We work with and through local partners to build national capacity to combat slavery and trafficking. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., with projects in Africa, Latin America, Asia, the Caribbean and the Middle East, Free the Slaves has a talented and dedicated staff including in its country and regional offices, and a highly engaged and supportive board of directors.
For more information, see: www.freetheslaves.net.
Free the Slaves is at an inflection point, poised to dramatically expand support from individual donors. We have a compelling story of freedom that resonates with donors of all sizes and types and a long track record dismantling the social, cultural, political, and economic factors that trap people in slavery.
We are looking for someone to bring their passion, dedication, and skills to our Development team. If you’re excited to meet other abolitionists and help them join our movement, then you might be the right person for this job.
This position will be focus on both Development and Communications work.
The Development and Branding Assistant will be responsible for supporting successful planning and implementation of Free the Slaves’ fundraising strategy including individual donor, grassroots donor, communications and branding strategies.
The successful applicant will support FTS’ Major Donor and Grassroots Donor programs, and provide administrative support to the fundraising team. The successful applicant will work closely with the Head of Development, Executive Director, Programs team, and Communications team to ensure success.
The Development and Branding Assistant is a key member of the fundraising and communications teams, primarily responsible for building relationships and supporting the organization’s leaders to build relationships with individual donors at every level.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Maintain and manage a stewardship plan for all major donors
· Support the Head of Development and Executive Director in building relationships with major donors and major donor prospects
· Suport the Head of Development and Executive Director in ensuring timely donor communications and asks
· Maintain and manage a calendar of major donor events, mailings, etc.
· Contribute to the annual major donor strategy
· Research new major donor prospects
· Support or lead planning of virtual (and possibly live) major donor events, including new strategy launch, virtual gala, etc
· Keep a small portfolio of mid-level donors, including cultivation, asks, etc.
· Contribute and brainstorm new ideas and help make the team more creative, responsive, and successful!
· Draft new grassroots donor strategy, including a plan to increase social media presence
· Draft all grassroots donor emails and other material
· Manage FTS social media accounts, in collaboration with the Policy Manager
· Manage calendar of grassroots donor events, mailings, etc.
· Conceive and execute grassroots giving campaigns, experimenting with new ideas
· Manage MailChimp and other fundraising platforms
· Respond to donor requests and manage the [email protected] email
· Process all gifts in the Salesforce database
· Ensure all gifts are promptly acknowledged
· Co-manage (with Head of Development) upgrading and reconfiguration of fundraising systems, including Salesforce, MailChimp, IATS, WordPress, PayPal, and others.
· Ensure states charitable registrations or done timely and accurately
· Ensure the grant tracking both financial and due diligence
· Ensure any relevant registrations are completed in a timely manner
· Take notes at various fundraising meetings and ensure follow-through
· Pitch-in on all other fundraising activities
· Help schedule meetings with donors and relevant funders
· Manage the donor reporting schedules, timelines and various donor requirements
Communications and Branding
· Support the development of a strong organizational reputation among supporters
· Support the development and implementation of communications and branding plans
· Engage with various grassroot donors through digital communication and social media
· Support the development and the design of branding material
· Support the social media and digital communications related to fundraising or grassroot donor engagement.
· Minimum 2 years of experience working in a human rights or related organization
· Bachelor’s Degree
· Strong writing skills and clear verbal communication
· Keen attention to details or detail oriented
· Deep passion for ending modern slavery
· Strong familiarity with social media and digital communication
· Familiarity with technology especially online meeting platforms
· Desktop research and strong skills in analysis
· Experience managing up and across, especially project management
· Familiarity with human rights campaigns, especially using social media
· Clear, concise, personable, and persuasive in writing and speech
· Independent, creative, and self-driven working style
· Fluency in English
· Existing right to work in the USA
Positives (not required)
· Experience in fundraising a plus but not required
· Experience with Salesforce or other fundraising database a plus
· Experience with MailChimp or similar a plus
· Spanish, French, Arabic, Hindi, Swahili, or Vietnamese a plus
Supervision and Relationships
The successful candidate will be directly reporting to the Head of Development. The successful applicant will also be expected to form good working relationships with Program staff, regional teams, the Executive Director, and the communications team.
This position is based at FTS’ global headquarters in Washington, DC. The HQ office is currently closed due to the pandemic and all staff are working remotely. The successful candidate will be expected to join the Development team at the physical DC office when pandemic provisions are lifted. We are not considering remote applicants once DC returns to the office.
Survivors of modern slavery are encouraged to apply.
Applicants should submit a tailored cover letter that describes how your experiences meet the specific required qualifications listed above, a resume, and a list of three references from former supervisors. PLEASE SUBMIT THESE AS ONE (1) WORD OR PDF DOCUMENT to
Include your last name in the title of the document.
Deadline for Submissions: June 15, 2021
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply early. Applications will be considered as they are received, with the position being filled as soon as possible.
Free the Slaves is an equal-opportunity organization. Qualified applicants are considered for employment and consultancies without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.smartrecruiters.com.