AMERICAN MONTESSORI SOCIETY
The American Montessori Society leads, empowers, and serves the global community of Montessori educators as the foremost advocate for research and policy, ongoing teacher education, and standards of accreditation through opportunities for mentored individual growth, collaboration, and member engagement.
AMS is classified as a 501(c) (3) not-for-profit organization.
The Director of Events is a highly motivated, organized, and hands-on individual who is responsible for planning, coordinating, and setting/meeting goals and objectives for AMS professional development events, both virtual and live (post COVID-19).
This includes ideation with AMS staff, tactical execution, budget oversight, onsite management, results measurement, and post-event analysis.
Please email a letter of interest and résumé to Munir Shivji, Executive Director of the American Montessori Society: mshivji(at)amshq(dot)org
- All attachments are to be included within a single email
- Subject line: Director of Events
Reports to: Executive Director
Works closely with: All director- and manager-level staff
Classification: Exempt, Full-Time (1.0 FTE)
- Lead discussions with AMS colleagues to create event programming that has a wide-angle view of the entire attendee experience and will be perceived as desirable and valuable.
- Manage and execute virtual events, including working within digital event platforms.
- Manage and execute live (post-COVID 19) events.
- Create project timelines, assign roles, track progress, direct timely completion of tasks.
- Conceive, develop, and execute a balanced budget for each event. This includes collaboration with finance staff to determine pricing tiers and revenue projections.
- Create RFPs and coordinate potential hotel site visits while maintaining relationships with U.S.-based CVBs and major hotel brands. This includes directing site selection and contract negotiations with venue-partners.
- Maintain relationships and co-lead with Executive Director and Senior Director of Finance contract negotiations with a variety of event support partners, including an exhibit manager, show management company, A/V support vendor, event technology solution partner, speaker bureaus, and destination management company.
- Post-COVID-19: Manage all physical event logistics such as floor plans, room sets, AV, F&B, décor, signage, collateral materials, staffing, security, etc.
- Support all event marketing and communications, including promotional emails, on-site branding, program guides, etc.
- Direct all aspects of event staffing, including volunteers and temporary staff as needed.
- Oversee all aspects of event registration, including corresponding policies of cancellation, conduct, and appropriate release forms.
- Ensure that digital spaces for events—including virtual passes, virtual conferences, and distributed meetings—are properly prepared for a smooth broadcast.
- Ensure that AMS events are diverse, inclusive, and equitable spaces for staff and stakeholders alike.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned.
- 5+ years professional experience in event planning managing large events in a convention/hotel venue, preferably working within a nonprofit association
- Highly detail-oriented project manager who can handle multiple work cycles with proven organizational and time-management skills
- Strong verbal and written communications skills; impeccable interpersonal skills
- High proficiency with MS Office: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Team leader and decision maker
- Travel required in connection with onsite visits and live events
- Strong negotiator
- High degree of resourcefulness, flexibility, and adaptability
- Ability to manage last-minute changes and deadlines while showing grace and courtesy under pressure
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, seasonally
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
No calls, please.
Equal employment opportunities and diversity among its employees are fundamental principles at the American Montessori Society.
The American Montessori Society is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, family responsibility, political affiliation or any other status protected by applicable laws.