In early 2015, Roy Steves and Shilo Jones knew that there was an opening in the market for a new kind of digital marketing agency.
Both Roy and Shilo had eCommerce experience, growing retail businesses by significant multiples during their tenure and the assumed that their retailer experience would give them an edge.
And so, starting in September of 2015, StatBid was born. Growth was rapid, but fueled entirely by word of mouth, and without outside capital. This allowed them to design the business around a few core concepts:
- We love to talk shop. One of the most rewarding aspects of their past careers had been meeting up with other eCommerce professionals, and comparing notes on what worked, what didn’t, and what was learned. StatBid was to be a vessel for that sharing.
- We want to help, even outside our channel. An extension of the first, this allows us to use our own eCommerce experience to provide guidance and recommendations to those clients who could benefit from it–and not just within Google Ads. Roy and Shilo’s passion extended to everything from attribution to margin management to inventory planning.
- We want to work with the best, from anywhere. In another diversion from our past experience, we decided to build StatBid as an entirely remote team. While we’d have to relearn how to manage and develop teams, as our in-office experience wouldn’t port directly, we would have access to talent from across the country, and even the world.
Roy and Shilo imagine themselves as scrappy, clever disruptors, bringing a refreshing update to the already calcifying SEM agency space. They helped dozens of companies, earning many of them as clients, and growth followed, as positive word of mouth multiplied our efforts.
Today, StatBid is now six full-time staff (including the founders), as well as a half dozen incredibly talented freelancers from around the globe. The team at StatBid is learning quickly, improving daily, and helping produce millions in incremental revenue for their clients.
The Director of Organic Search is responsible for growing StatBid’s Organic Search division by working with StatBid’s existing clients portfolio and helping add new clients.
- 7-10 years in SEO with a focus on e-commerce businesses
- proven ability to deliver exceptional results for clients
We believe that a company’s culture is an emergent property of its people, not something that can be decided and approved upon by a board, and then dictated to employees. As such, this isn’t the first version of the list, and may not be the last.
“The Seven Cs”
- Conscientious: Everyone is trying to make their businesses successful, and each has their own journey toward that goal. We must therefore maintain an empathetic foundation in our interactions, with our peers, partners, clients, industry, and world. We operate with respect and care, especially over disagreement, but also in the way we individually, or collectively as StatBid, deal with others.
- Candid: We strive to be as transparent and honest as possible. Life’s opportunities increase proportionally to our willingness to have awkward conversations. While it’s easy to share victories, only through honest, candid assessment can we improve over time, and help others to do the same.
- Collaborative: There’s a saying: “If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.” While it’s surprisingly difficult to trace to an original source, it sticks in the public consciousness for good reason–some things will call for the first approach, others the second. StatBid is in the business of going far, and that takes a team. Humans are such a successful species, in part, due to our ability to combine our talents and experience, and we embrace this opportunity.
- Creative: Our industry changes far too quickly to allow any complacency. As a result, we must constantly be looking for new, innovative, and creative ways to approach challenges. Creativity demands the ability to step back, and find new perspectives on old limitations. We will rise to the challenge.
- Clever: Not only should we try to be creative in our problem solving, but our solutions themselves should display elegance. We are energized by scrappy, innovative thinking, and our business will be guided in no small part by that approach. This will allow us to punch above our weight class, and out-maneuver potential risks and barriers.
- Constructive: Everything we’ve built in the past can be improved upon. We are attached to our output, not our tools, and so we are always open to iterating on tools and processes, if it would improve the results. We will also provide candid suggestions to others who ask, and graciously consider suggestions that we receive. This philosophy allows us to build better things in the future.
- Non-Conformist: The seventh of our Cs only barely starting with a “c” provides for the fact that creative solutions sometimes require abandoning preconceptions and past standards. Our industry changes quickly, and despite this, there are all kinds of baggage that accumulate along the way. To mitigate this, we will always be open to considering wildly alternative solutions. To paraphrase Tim Ferriss: “Most people walk down the street on their legs. Does that mean we I walk down the street on our hands? …Not usually, no.” But we also reject the idea that there is a single solution that works for every business, or at every stage of that business’s life, and it’s up to us to spot the difference.
Salary range: $55,000-$75,000/year DOE