KALA PHARMACEUTICALS, INC
Kala is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery, development and commercialization of innovative therapies for diseases of the eye.
Kala has applied its AMPPLIFYTM mucus penetrating particle Drug Delivery Technology to a corticosteroid, loteprednol etabonate (LE), designed for ocular applications, resulting in the January 2019 launch of INVELTYS® (loteprednol etabonate ophthalmic suspension) 1% and its investigational product candidate, EYSUVISTM (loteprednol etabonate ophthalmic suspension) 0.25%, for which a New Drug Application (NDA) is under review by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) with a target action date under the Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA) set for October 30, 2020.
The Regional Sales Leader (RSL) is responsible for leading a team of specialty sales representatives, referred to as Territory Sales Managers (TSMs).
This role will be responsible for meeting prescription volume and revenue goals, as well as expense management. This will be done through effective business planning, coaching and developing their TSMs, and establishing partnerships with targeted ophthalmic customers.
The RSL will be key to inspiring ownership, accountability and engagement across their team. Accomplishment of these goals must comply with Kala Pharmaceuticals policies and procedures. This position reports to an Area Sales Director.
- Provide inspirational leadership and strategic direction to a team of specialty TSMs to meet or exceed regional sales goals
- Provide focused coaching and development tailored to each TSMs’ strengths and opportunities
- Work with senior sales leadership to identify and optimize regional strategies aligned to the Kala Commercial strategy
- Establish relationships, credibility and trust with both internal and external customers
- Conduct regular field rides and business reviews to tailor coaching and direction
- Model only the highest level of professional behavior and ethics
- Collaborate with the market access team to optimize payer access opportunities
- Understand and focus the team on opportunities within the payer landscape
- Develop relationships with full-service pharmacies and retail pharmacies to ensure patients have access to Kala products
- Contribute to and learn from peers across the Sales Leadership Team (SLT)
- Hiring, training, and development of TSMs in assigned region
- Conduct performance evaluations, provide constructive feedback, and develop development plans as appropriate
- Collaborate with other functional areas including, Training, Marketing, Managed Markets, and Commercial Operations
- Collaborate with TSMs on development and implementation of territory business plans
- Bachelor’s Degree (BA or BS) from a four-year accredited college or university
- 3+ years of pharmaceutical or medical sales management experience required
- 2+ years of selling experience with Ophthalmologists, Optometrists with demonstrated account management experience
- Ability to travel at least 50% of the time as airline and overnight travel are fundamental requirements for the job
- Must reside in the assigned regional geography
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Recent launch experience and eyecare experience is highly preferred
- Ability to effectively discover and address team needs and align focus to Kala priorities
- Results-oriented professional who demonstrates strong problem-solving skills adaptability and resiliency
- Demonstrated teamwork ability with high emotional intelligence in managing multiple business initiatives and cross-functional relationships
- Must be self-motivated and disciplined
- Demonstrated technical aptitude and working proficiency in using iPad and working proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- In depth knowledge and understanding of PHARMA Guidelines
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
Kala Pharmaceuticals is an Equal Opportunity Employer that offers a competitive and comprehensive employee benefits package.