At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance.
We employ in excess of 750 people and manage more than £8.3 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real-life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Moneycoach, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact on everything we do and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we’re always on the lookout for smart, talented people who share our values.
- Octopus Labs is driving innovation and technical change throughout the Octopus Group
- We’re one of the largest VCs in Europe
- We love entrepreneurs
- We’re happy for you to keep working on your side-projects.
- Started in a bedroom 20 years ago and are still run by the same founders we have a strong entrepreneurial flair and a culture of always asking questions
- Daily maintenance and support of both production and non-production SQL instances.
- Monitoring database health – including data fragmentation, table statistics index rebuilds, space usage.
- Improving existing SQL Server queries, as well as tuning queries to improve performance.
- Using profiler traces, extended events, and other tools to optimize SQL code, comparing SQL plans, etc.
- Constant evaluation of our database solutions to ensure ‘fit for purpose’ including moving workloads to the cloud.
- Managing multiple tasks simultaneously while adapting to agile business requirements
- Collaborating with relevant IT service owners to improve support, delivery & communications.
- Acting as an escalation point for various stakeholders across the business.
- Providing ad-hoc specialist support for small projects/access/information requests.
You’ll love us if you enjoy:
- Solving problems – things happen and you’re there to fix them.
- Providing a ‘new technology lifecycle’ support experience.
- Being one of the go-to people for specialist technical knowledge.
- Passion for databases.
- Imparting knowledge to the team.
- Working in a collaborative environment, as part of a growing team.
- Having passion about customer experience and a commitment to exceeding expectations.
- Experience with any of the following: MS SQL, Azure SQL, Azure Synapse, MySQL and Elastic Search.
- Previous on-premises and cloud Infrastructure Database Support experience in an Enterprise environment.
- Good understanding of relational database principles, guidelines, and best practises.
- SQL query development experience.
- Understanding of database backups and recovery strategy.
- Advanced database troubleshooting and tuning skills.
We’ll love you if:
- You enjoy supporting and implementing new solutions.
- You create documentation because you enjoy it!
- You were the kind of kid who took things apart just to put them back together (correctly).
- You relish the opportunity to implement improvements.
- You are passionate about technology delivery.
- You have a strong background in database administration and maintenance.
- HOW is just as important as WHAT you do.
- You are a confident communicator, enjoy working in a friendly, collaborative, fast-paced team and are comfortable talking to people at all levels of the business.
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
– We are loyal: we fully buy in to the company’s vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
– We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
– We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
– We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we’re always learning, adapting and improving.
– We understand who our customers are and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer:
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.smartrecruiters.com.