Repeatedly voted one of Montreal’s Top Employers and Employer of the Year for the 2022 Mercuriades Awards, Rodeo FX is a high-end creative company offering services in visual effects, advertising, animation, and experiential.
Nominated for 3 Emmy® Awards for its work on the series Stranger Things season 4, the Witcher season 2 and Foundation season 1, the independent, Oscar®-winning company boasts close to 800 artists.
Rodeo FX is a creative partner to the world’s best storytellers including Netflix, HBO, Disney, Marvel, Amazon Studios, Warner Bros. and Sony, and has collaborated on ads for YouTube, NBC and Apple. Current projects include Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore, Resident Evil, Halo, and Stranger Things season 4. Recently released projects include Dune, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, WandaVision and The Witcher season 2, all earning nominations at the 2022 VES awards.
As a company founded and led by an artist, it is creativity above all that guides us. Our mission is to provide our talents with the freedom and resources they need to deliver quality work and thrive in a stimulating, caring environment. This is why we offer a flexible, hybrid and remote work structure in all our locations.
The Head of Animation ensures that Rodeo FX remains on the cutting edge creatively and technologically, ensuring consistency in the quality, techniques and processes across all of Rodeo’s project teams.
In conjunction with the Sr. Head of Motion, s/he will develop a long-term vision for the Animation Department and drive various initiatives to ensure it is achieved. They oversee technological projects, workflow changes and lead training initiatives.
All the Animators and Animation Leads report directly to the HOD. The HOD also acts as an Animation Supervisor on projects.
- Participate in pitches, client outreach and pre-award conversations ;
- Participates in all projects kick-offs. Is involved in project planning, methodology choices, tool development requirements and will advise on task estimates and casting ;
- Act as an ambassador of RodeoFX and the Animation dept and may be involved in recruitment events, keynotes presentations, industry events.. ;
- Manages the Animation team. Is responsible for recruitment, performance reviews, promotions and talent development initiatives ;
- Set short and long-term objectives for the department, and, in conjunction with the Sr. Head of Motion, develop strategies to achieve them. Create a roadmap, communicate it to the team and ensure implementation ;
- Manage or delegate development projects to ensure their delivery and implementation, and communicate workflow changes in a clear and timely manner ;
- Review project post-mortems to identify workflow/toolset improvements ;
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and seek the latest technological advances and workflows ;
- Identify global training needs for the department and, in conjunction with the Training Manager, develop and implement a training plan and calendar. Oversee the preparation and update of training materials and seminars ;
- Establish common standards of practice for the department and ensure they are applied across project teams ;
- Lead monthly department meetings to provide updates, stay informed of ongoing projects and encourage the sharing of knowledge and information within the department ;
- Working closely with the department Manager, ensures that all shows are staffed adequately ;
- Working closely with the department Manager, manages the crew planning and ensures that the department maintains a high productivity ;
- Ensure the Animation team is staffed with the appropriate balance of skills and experience to meet the company’s current and planned business needs ;
- Actively monitor the work climate in the team, taking steps to encourage and ensure the maintenance of a positive work environment and adherence to company values ;
- Participates in pre-production characters/creatures development ;
- Assign shots to artists in conjunction with production, taking into account their abilities and level. Resolve any visual, artistic or technical issues encountered by their projects and consult on other projects for their specialty ;
- Direct the artists and closely monitor the quality of work produced ;
- Run dailies sessions, review shots and make sure that our work follows proper methodology and matches with the client’s artistic vision ;
- Monitor upcoming milestones and keep the project team informed of the status of work, issues to be resolved, ramifications of problems encountered and potential solutions.
- Experience in a similar position, including management experience, within the VFX industry ;
- Excellent knowledge of Maya software ;
- Strong knowledge of RV and Nuke ;
- Excellent knowledge of body mechanics and facial animation ;
- Excellent understanding of the VFX production pipeline ;
- Strong knowledge of trends and new technology within the industry and specialty ;
- Ability to stay calm under pressure and act as a positive role model and mentor.
- Full-time, Permanent Contract ;
- Flexible, hybrid and remote work structure in all our locations ;
- 5 paid sick/personal days ;
- 2 additional statutory holidays in the winter holidays ;
- Group Insurance, access to Dialogue online support and to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) ;
- RRSP with employer contribution ;
- Discounts on public transports, several spas, sports classes, art center, cafes, furniture and several other local businesses.
Diversity is a core value at Rodeo FX. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable work environment where diversity is celebrated and valued. We believe every member on our team enriches our work by exposing us to a broad range of ways to perceive and interact with the world, identify challenges, and to design and deliver projects.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.smartrecruiters.com.