As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network – enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive.
Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second.
The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of digital commerce on any device for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace.
We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
If you think you could support Visa as an Oracle / PostgreSQL Database Administrator, we want to hear from you – together, let’s make Visa a great place to work.
What’s it all about?
Primarily the support, deployment and engineering of PostgreSQL and Oracle databases.
This role is part of the Platform as a Service (PaaS) organization, where you will primarily be a database subject matter expert for multiple applications, manage the complete database lifecycle, and participate in on-call rotation for 24×7 availability of production databases.
In addition, you will spend time developing DB as a Service (DBaaS) offerings and database reliability enhancement solutions.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- Manage, support and maintain database technology and infrastructure, adhering to the best practices, architectural guidelines and policies.
- Physical implementation of databases, storage structures, high-availability solutions, replication, and disaster recovery solutions.
- Proactive and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting and resolution of escalated Level 2 and Level 3 issues.
- Database administration for off the shelf and internally developed applications, ensuring continuous 24×7 operation and availability in support of mission critical business applications, and participate in on-call rotation.
- Develop/maintain Python/Shell scripts for DB automation.
- Develop and support Database as a Service (DBaaS) offerings.
- Develop solutions to enhance database reliability.
- Regular database capacity planning related to database growth and system utilization, trend analysis, predictive future database resource requirements, and the structured organized reporting of the same.
- Work closely with other Infrastructure engineering, product development, business operations, and technical operations teams to ensure delivery of database services within the SLAs and performance targets.
- Work well in a team and as an individual with minimal supervision.
What we’re after…
- Experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD, or PhD) or equivalent experience.
- Bachelor or Master Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Mid-level DBA experience managing PostgreSQL & Oracle databases (including Oracle RAC)
- DBA experience managing logical & physical replication for PostgreSQL and Oracle database
- Strong Python/Perl scripting skill and experience in tools like Ansible
- Exceptional deductive reasoning skills
- Curiosity and tenacity to fully diagnose why something went wrong
- Good understanding of PostgreSQL & Oracle database fundamentals and Architecture.
- Good understanding of PostgreSQL & Oracle database security management
- Good understanding of PostgreSQL streaming and logical replication
- Good understanding of Oracle DataGuard and GoldenGate replication
- Should have good Troubleshooting and Performance Improvement Skills including index creation, query optimization, schema changes etc.
- Should have strong UNIX platform skills and understanding of network, storage, tiered application environments and security.
- Any experience developing DBaaS offerings will be a plus
- Ability to modify and integrate database and related products and develop solutions to achieve required capabilities for Persistence/DB layer.
- Experience configuring PostgreSQL monitoring using Prometheus end points, Grafana etc.
- Knowledge of programming language (Java, C++, Go) and prior development experience will be a plus
- Any contribution to PostgreSQL community will be a plus
- Understanding of CI/CD pipeline and code versioning tools such as Git
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.