The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation.
The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
The incumbent of this position is an employee of the Legislative Assembly, not a civil servant.
The Hansard Branch of the Manitoba Legislative Assembly is responsible for the verbatim record of the debates while the Legislative Assembly is in session. The Branch consists of skilled, dedicated employees working to produce a high-quality document as a part of Manitoba’s history.
This is Sessional employment with work periods typically occurring from March to June and October to December of each year. We are currently recruiting for multiple Sessional positions where the incumbent would work shifts of up to 7.25 hours with start times of Monday – Thursday, 2:30 p.m., and Friday, 10:30 a.m. on Fridays when the House is sitting. The incumbent would also be eligible to accept additional shifts for standing committee meetings or to cover sessional staff absences.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- The incumbent must be, and remain, politically non-partisan in both perception and fact
- Must be available to work flexible hours while the Legislature is in session.
- Strong English language skills including excellent ability with spelling, punctuation and sentence structure.
- Excellent typing skills with a minimum typing speed of 65wpm, as well as experience using computer software.
- Strong accuracy and attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to work well with colleagues, supervisors and managers.
- The ability to contribute to a team environment.
- Ability to handle stress while achieving a set deadline within a specific timeframe.
- Interest in and knowledge of Manitoba current events.
- French language skills considered an asset.
- Under the supervision of the Assistant Manager, the incumbent is responsible for transcribing or proofreading the Debates and Proceedings of the Legislative Assembly and its committees. The incumbent is compensated based on the duties they are assigned.
Competitive Process: In addition to a Selection Board interview, the competition will include a comprehensive assessment consisting of four parts: spelling, word/phrase recognition, transcribing and proofreading.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, applicants are required to submit an application form for screening purposes. Applicants are not required to submit a cover letter or a resume at this time; however, may be asked to submit a resume, references or other documentation at a later time.
Link for application form:
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit jobsearch.gov.mb.ca.