People are the Heart of Our Business
Anglo American has set its Burning Ambition to be the most valued mining company by all its stakeholders by 2023. The Group Treasury function enables Anglo American to achieve its strategic ambitions by delivering financing, financial risk and cash management services to the organisation, whilst maintaining the highest standards of control and compliance, and providing a workplace of the future to develop and retain talent.
The Treasury Operations team is a key contributor to these objectives as we drive to increase automation and streamline processes in cash management, back office and treasury accounting, as well as providing world-class systems infrastructure to the Group Treasury function.
The Treasury Accounting Coordinator delivers all financial reporting and treasury accounting, including hedge accounting and bank reconciliations, for all treasury activity undertaken by the Business Units within their responsibility.
Performance & Delivery
- Deliver world-class treasury accounting services to Anglo American group companies with a focus on debt, FX and interest rate derivatives, and money market instruments, ensuring adherence to relevant group policies
- Preparation and review of monthly treasury reporting packs for business units and corporate functions
- Review of daily bank reconciliations and ensuring any unreconciled items are resolved in a timely manner
- Preparation of departmental Budgets and Outlooks
- Deliver automated accounting solutions for treasury transactions executed by Business Units and Corporate legal entities
- Manage treasury transaction compliance with relevant legislation, accounting standards and external regulatory authority requirements
- Engage with stakeholders to understand and incorporate evolving business requirements and regulatory changes into plans
- Develop and maintain effective professional relationships with auditors and other relevant third parties (e.g. Bloomberg) to deliver quality solutions and services and identify opportunities for improvement
- Engage with auditors to understand changes in accounting standards and their impacts on accounting processes and systems
- Deliver a high-class treasury and hedge accounting service, including technical accounting leadership in relevant areas, to all Business Units for whom the Group Treasury undertakes treasury activities
- Contribute to the strategic plan for an ongoing “analyse and improve” programme
- Support the Global Process and Control Owner (“GPCO”) for Treasury Accounting and Bank Reconciliation, covering the following process areas: Bank reconciliations, Intercompany loan/deposit interest calculations statements, Accounting setup in Quantum, Treasury accounting, Hedge accounting, Accounting interfaces to SAP, and associated reconciliations, Half-Year and Annual Reporting
- Periodic engagement with relevant stakeholders to receive feedback on service provision
- Identify and prioritise continuous improvement opportunities across treasury accounting
- Review and monitor Service Level Agreements (SLA) with Business Units to ensure we are achieving agreed service delivery requirements.
Role Specific Skills
- Strong understanding of key treasury accounting standards – IAS32, IAS39, IFRS7, IRFS9, and relevant amendments due to Interest Rate Benchmark Reform
- Understanding of key drivers of treasury profit & loss and balance sheet movements
- Can define requisite accounting and analytical knowledge and skills for team members
- Provide training for team members in requisite technical skills
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal, including to an audience whose first language may not be English
- Work quickly to meet tight deadlines while maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Microsoft Office including Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Graduate or equivalent qualification in a relevant discipline, preferably commercial, numerical or scientific
- Qualified accountant (ACA/ACCA/CIMA (UK); CFA (SA) or equivalent) essential
Specific Knowledge requirements:
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of treasury / financial products and services, including cash and funding instruments, derivatives, and bonds
- Operational experience in a corporate treasury department with significant systems automation exposure
- Cooperation with third-party vendors and service providers
- Experience of operation and accounting configuration in the following systems would be a significant advantage:
- FIS Quantum
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Thorough and conscientious with strong attention to detail
What we offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too. We’re a large, successful multinational company – and we’re still growing all the time.
Who we are
We aim to lead the industry by pursuing ever safer and more responsible ways of working, demonstrating integrity and showing care and respect for people and the planet. That means we are constantly seeking new opportunities to mine and process our products sustainably, using less water, less energy and more precise extraction technologies. As the custodians of coal and other precious natural resources – diamonds (through De Beers), copper, platinum and other precious metals, iron ore and nickel – our extraordinary teams work safely and collaboratively, with the utmost consideration for local communities, our customers and the world at large.
How we are committed to your safety
Nothing is more important to us than ensuring you return home safely after a day’s work. To make that happen, we have the most rigorous safety standards in the industry. Not only that, we’re also continually investing in new technologies – from drones to data analytics – that are helping to make mining safer.
Inclusion and Diversity
Anglo American is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are and provide equality of opportunity so that everyone can fulfil their potential.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.smartrecruiters.com.