Shopify is a leading global commerce company, providing trusted tools to start, grow, market, and manage a retail business of any size. Shopify makes commerce better for everyone with a platform and services that are engineered for reliability, while delivering a better shopping experience for consumers everywhere.
Shopify powers millions of businesses in more than 175 countries and is trusted by big brands, small businesses and entrepreneurs throughout the world.
It takes a whole team of dedicated legal professionals working behind the scenes to help Shopify create a platform that makes commerce better for everyone. We must be able to apply our knowledge and experience in order to protect Shopify’s interests in a way that allows our business to stay agile and competitive. Every person on our team is committed to making commerce better for everyone, and it truly shows.
About the team
Shopify’s Privacy and Data Protection Team works on cutting-edge technology issues alongside product and engineering teams to help them build and protect the innovative products that Shopify offers. The team is responsible for advising the business on privacy and data protection law, and continuing to mature our privacy program.
Success on the Shopify Legal Team requires intellect, humility and a sense of humor. You need to take the work seriously, but not take yourself too seriously. You also need to be comfortable with being uncomfortable, able to work with many different types of personalities, really connect with people and earn their trust, and enjoy working as a team player. You will handle complicated matters with empathy and professionalism, striking a balance between legal requirements while maintaining our incredible workplace.
You are excited to collaborate on a team that will focus on a range of global privacy and cybersecurity counseling. You will tackle technically complicated personal data issues while working collaboratively with security, engineering, and HR teams.
- Partner with the Security team to interpret and apply cybersecurity best practices, laws, regulations and policy across the company’s global operations
- Continue to mature our incident response processes and procedures in partnership with our Security team
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams on key initiatives, including data retention and de-identification
- Provide risk-based counseling on global employee privacy matters, including operational aspects such as DSARs, DPIAs and TIAs
- Provide strategic counseling on M&A transactional matters with respect to data, privacy and security
- Develop a forward-thinking strategy for anticipating the impact of enforcement or data ethics trends on internal teams including Technology, Data Science, and Data Infrastructure
- Identify and manage cross-functional strategic initiatives that will substantially push Shopify’s privacy and data protection practices forward
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to appropriately train Shopifolk to identify, respond to, and properly escalate privacy and data protection issues
- A J.D. or LL.B (or foreign equivalent) and membership in at least one US state bar
- 7+ years of legal experience at a leading law firm or in-house
- Experience advising on privacy and data protection matters including US privacy laws and/or GDPR
- In-house experience working on incident response and security counseling
- Strong understanding of data and security practices
- Excellent process-building and program management skills
- Strong relationship-building and collaboration skills with cross-functional teams
- Enthusiasm for privacy and security legal work
- A privacy certification (e.g., CIPP/US, CIPM) is a plus
- In-house experience at a tech company
- A sense of humor
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Our team is looking forward to reading your resume. A cover letter is optional. Please submit your application materials in PDF format.
Closing date: Friday, October 21, 2022 at 11:59PM EDT. Successful candidates can expect to hear back from us by Monday, October 31, 2022.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team – so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.smartrecruiters.com.