Website INFORMA MARKETS
We organize over 500 large-scale branded and transaction-oriented events in 14 specialist markets. These are typically not-to-be-missed annual events where buyers and sellers build relationships, see and show products and do business.
We also provide year-round online platforms where companies showcase their businesses and products and buyers conduct research, generating valuable leads, and we provide data and digital content that supports the flow of knowledge and transactions in markets.
The Exhibition Director is responsible for reviewing and establishing the strategic plan and direction of the events under their management. Recognizing risk and building mechanisms to best navigate and protect the growth and development of the portfolio. Collaborating and managing the event team to plan and deliver in line with strategic plans, brand guidelines and within budget.
They will lead the achievement of event targets through effective team management and coordination with the senior event management team and identify opportunities for event growth as well as increasing non-square metre sales. The Exhibition Director will develop innovative ideas for event features and content to attract and enhance visitor/exhibitor experience. Effective people management practices are expected in order to drive continuous performance and results.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Achievement of event targets in accordance with event budget.
- Regular communication & reporting of progress and results to the senior management team.
- Visible team management and leadership (e.g. Objective setting, training assessments, coaching, feedback and appraisals).
- Demonstration of event growth including increasing non-square metre sales.
- Development/enhancement of event features and content to achieve & improve visitor/exhibitor satisfaction ratings.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead the development and maintenance of a strategic plan in collaboration with the senior management team
- Oversee and monitor the strategic plan to ensure it is carried out on time and to budget
- Agree the annual exhibition budget with the senior event management team and cascade this to team members
- Identify and manage key stakeholders, bellwethers and influencers (commercial or non-commercial), ensuring support and commitment
- Uphold the brand reputation of Informa as the premier exhibition & events provider at all times
- Ensure that the planned exhibition growth and targets are achievable with available resources
- Be responsible for and ensure that corporate goals and objectives are delivered and upheld
- Create event content and features with the team that will ensure longer term visitor interest and or commercial success,
- Evaluate event effectiveness and recommend strategies for improvement
EXHIBITION FINANCE AND ACCOUNTING
- Control and manage exhibition costs within budget through monthly reviews with Marketing and Exhibition Managers
- Liaise with the finance team to ensure compliance with event budget
- Ensure all documentation required is completed accurately and on time
- Track and document all revenue and cost transactions and communicate with the accounts department
- Oversee event sales targets for team members
- Lead and manage the sales team through monitoring sales activities and performance in coordination with the Sales Director
- Schedule regular sales meetings in order to review performance and productivity and provide guidance and direction
- Lead by example by bringing in sales and sponsorship deals
- Analyse rebooking statistics and identify ways to maximize client retention
- Strategize and produce opportunities for the exhibition teams to increase non square-metre sales
- Provide opportunities for growth within each exhibition profile
- Create useful, internal working relationship with the Marketing Department
- Contribute to the marketing strategy and oversee the execution of marketing plans and schedules in collaboration with the event marketing team
- Monitor marketing activities and ensure they are executed on time and in-line with marketing plans
- Work closely with the Marketing Manager to design/create copy for marketing materials, websites and digital media
- Monitor database growth in appropriate markets and feedback on improvements
- Establish a useful, internal working relationship between the Sales and Marketing team and the Operations Department
- Continually liaise with Operations Department with respect to floor plans and ensure client requirements are maintained
- Closely adhere to logistics plans
- Assist and provide support to the Operations team onsite, pre-, during an post-event
- Work closely with the Content division ensuring knowledge is being shared and opportunities explored
- Establish mechanisms where key clients and bellwethers can engage with content away from the exhibition
- Deliver strategic opportunities where content can take the lead in the products driving industry engagement
- Consider how non-sqm and alternative digital solutions can allow greater engagement with clients to support strategic ambitions
- Establish a useful, internal working relationship between the Sales and the Digital Department to deliver connected campaigns
- Ensure timely reporting to ensure any issue areas are Identified Complete weekly reporting structure with the event management team
- Prepare monthly project reports with Exhibition Managers to be presented to Group Director
- Prepare annual event budgets and forecasts
PEOPLE MANAGEMENT AND LEADERSHIP
- Create an environment which encourages teamwork and collaboration
- Assist in the hiring and retention of qualified and professional staff
Effectively manage team members which includes:
- Setting clear expectations and objectives
- Providing regular and structured feedback & coaching sessions to drive a high performance culture
- Ensuring the effective on-boarding of new team members
- Providing training and support
- Managing the performance management process in line with company standards
- Initiating recognition programs to reward and recognise individual and team achievement
- Identifying team members for promotion/advancement and creating development plans with the HR team
- Taking disciplinary action if/when necessary in conjunction with the HR team
- Continual development of management and leadership skills.
- Any other duties commensurate with the grade and level of responsibility
Minimum Educational Level:
- Educated to degree standard in a business or event management field
Background Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Significant experience in a senior role within the exhibitions/consumer/brand sector
- Extensive people management skills and experience
- Experience with working in a pressured working environment
- Speaks and writes clearly and fluently in English at all levels
- Proficient in the use of Advanced MS Office including intermediate/advanced Word and Excel
- Thorough understanding of regional business culture
- Good understanding of the regional consumer market
Key Behavioural Competencies:
- Effective communication at all levels internally and externally
- Trustworthy and discrete with sensitive information
- Positive approach to team work
- Effective negotiation skills
- Remains calm and approachable under pressure
- Promotes a learning environment through leadership and example
- Flexible and adaptable
- Creative thinking skills for problem solving
- Ability to work under pressure and within changing priorities and deadlines
- Customer focus
- Decision making
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Planning and organising
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Interpersonal skills
- Time management
We know that sometimes the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist, and that people can be put off applying for a job if they don’t fit all the requirements. If you’re excited about working for us and have most of the skills or experience we’re looking for, please go ahead and apply. You could be just what we need! We believe strongly in the value of diversity and creating supportive, inclusive environments where our colleagues can succeed. As such, Informa is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics under federal, state or local law.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.smartrecruiters.com.