In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Vancouver Island Health Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at VIHA and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The Laundry & Environmental Services Worker operates a variety of laundry machines and equipment and uses a variety of specialized equipment, tools and machines to perform a variety of cleaning duties; and makes beds and empties garbage, as required, in accordance with established policies and procedures.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Collects and sorts soiled linens. Sorts, folds, counts linen and maintains records as required. Distributes clean linens to user areas.
2. Establishes temperature and cycle settings and quantities and types of wash ingredients. Loads, unloads and operates laundry machines and equipment, such as non-domestic washers, extractors, dryers, folders and finishers. Checks machines regularly to ensure safe and effective operation.
3. Inspects linen integrity, arranging required repairs and/or completing requisitions for replacement as appropriate.
4. Maintains laundry records and provides regular reports to the Manager.
5. Cleans walls, woodwork, shelves, surfaces, windows, stairs, walkways and floors in all areas, by methods such as sweeping, vacuuming, washing, scrubbing, mopping, stripping, sealing, waxing, buffing and polishing.
6. Cleans and disinfects toilets, tubs and showers by methods such as washing, wiping and polishing, and replenishes supplies such as soap, towels and toilet tissue.
7. Cleans furnishings and fixtures, such as chairs, beds, blinds, cupboards, lockers, by methods such as dusting, polishing, washing and wiping.
8. Cleans equipment, such as stretchers, tables, commodes, trolleys, carts, and wheelchairs, by methods such as washing, wiping, and including steam cleaning as required.
9. Strips and makes beds.
10. Hangs and removes drapes and curtains.
11. Collects and disposes of waste material and cleans receptacles, carts and containers.
12. Performs a variety of routine inspection and maintenance functions on related equipment and machines such as securing the load, cleaning, checking, lubricating, topping up fluids, and replacing components such as pads, filters, bags and belts, as required. Maintains documentation, such as a logbook, including recommending repair or replacement as necessary.
13. Locks windows and doors in accordance with security procedures.
14. Uses and handles a variety of cleaning supplies and materials in accordance with Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) regulations. Maintains stocks of cleaning supplies and materials in accordance with established procedures.
15. Transports and moves heavy furniture and/or equipment manually or by using various aides such as dollies or carts.
16. Ensures a safe and healthy working environment by observing universal (standard) precautions and infection control procedures; removing obvious hazards; reporting faulty equipment, accidents, injuries and near misses; and adhering to and enforcing rules regarding safety.
17. Clears snow from walkways and building entrances as required.
18. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training And Experience
Grade 10; one (1) year recent, related experience in a commercial or industrial laundry; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills And Abilities
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Deal with others effectively.
- Physically carry out the duties of the position.
- Organize work.
- Operate related equipment.
- Know washing ingredients.
To apply for this job please visit islandhealth.hua.hrsmart.com.